Baseball diamond, first athletic field, 1892-1893 (on the right) and lower campus view near what is now Jefferson Street. The Experiment Station gardens are on the left with the Court House, Central School, old Corvallis College are also left of the walkway.
Harvey L. McAlister was known as "Pap Hayseed" during his student years at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC). McAlister came from Lexington, Oregon (in Morrow County) to OAC in 1893. As a freshman, he played center on the first OAC football team. McAlister attended OAC from 1893 to 1897 and earned a BS in Agriculture. After service in the Spanish-American War, he returned to Lexington where he farmed until his retirement in 1947, when he moved to the Veterans Home in Napa, California. McAlister died in California in 1955.